The Biolan 220 ECO Composter is designed for the ultimate in year-round composting of kitchen & toilet waste. The thermally insulated composter with a patented adjustable ventilation system keeps the heat naturally generated in the composting process to be retained in the composter allowing the compost material to break down quicker than a regular composter. The Biolan 220 ECO composter will continue to compost even during the winter when standard composters stop working. With 30% more insulation than our Biowaste composter and our patented ventilation system, the
n 220 ECO composter is the best year round composter on the market. The Biolan 220 ECO Composter has also been sized for the biowaste generated by a single family. If Biolan 220 ECO Composter is used in the correct manner, the mass will be efficiently composted, which will make using and unloading of the composter more pleasant.
The composter is intended for biodegradable materials only. Do not place anything in the composter that could impede the composting process or will not turn into compost, such as:
- Plastic, rubber, glass, leather
- Chemicals, wood preservatives and disinfectants, paints, solvents, petrol
- Detergents, washing water
- Ash, cigarette butts, matches
- Vacuum bags
- Coloured advertisement paper
- Large quantities of paper
Choosing the correct composter location
Place the 220 ECO Composter in a place where you can easily take your waste and unload the composter all year round. Set the composter up on a firm surface at a location with good drainage. Make sure that the composter is level.
Draining off the seep liquid
The 220 ECO Composter includes a seep liquid opening in the bottom left-hand side to drain any excess liquid. The amount of seep liquid from the Biolan Composter is small, depending on use. The seep liquid, however, is extremely rich in nutrients and is also an excellent fertilizer. Place the composter directly onto the ground so that the soil will absorb any seep liquid. It can also be collected in the container to be used to fertilize planters and other potted plants. If the compost mass is unusually wet, seep liquid may also seep from under the unloading door and from the inlet air valve at the front of the composter.
Place the liquid separation plate in the recess located in the bottom of the composter (the seep liquid drain). The purpose of the liquid separation plate is to separate any excess liquid from the compost mass. The plate can be detached and cleaned if necessary.
The Biowaste Composter has a seep liquid opening in the bottom left-hand side to allow any excess liquid to drain from the composter and be absorbed into the ground. You can collect the seep liquid in a container if you like, but this is not mandatory. Remove the rodent shield from the seep liquid opening in the bottom edge of the composter with a screwdriver, for example. Connect a liquid hose, diameter 32 mm, to the seep liquid opening in the bottom edge of the composter. Place the other end of the hose in a container located in such a place that the liquid will flow downhill.
Place a layer of five centimeters (5 cm) of Biolan Bulking Material in the bottom of the composter. Start using the composter. When you are putting waste into the composter for the first time, use more bulking material than recommended – you can reduce the amount later on.
- Empty your household container into the composter. Please note that the larger the pieces of waste you put into the composter, the longer it will take for them to disintegrate.
- If you use biodegradable rubbish bags, empty the content of the bag into the composter and put the bag in separately.
- Always cover the waste with Biolan Bulking Material. Usually the proper amount is approximately one-third to half of the amount of new waste deposited in the composter. If the waste is wet, use more of the bulking material.
- Continue adding more waste to the composter as you generate more waste. Try to add more waste to the composter several times a week. This is especially important during the cold season.
- Stir in the most recent compost down to some 20–30 cm from the surface. You do not need to mix the compost after every loading. The more bulking agent you use, the less mixing the mass requires.
- Do not mix the entire compost mass all the way down to the bottom to prevent the already cooled lowermost layers from cooling down the compost mass that is still warm.
- The 220 ECO Composter must be emptied all year round. Unload the composter when it is almost full, more often during the cold season than during the warm season. After the composter has been unloaded, there is more oxygen in it, which will often increase the temperature inside the composter.
- In the wintertime, only remove a little bit of the compost mass at a time. In the summertime, you can remove more, but always unload at the most half of the compost mass.
- Open the unloading door (part 5) and remove some of the mass from the bottom of the composter with a shovel.
- Also clean the area under the seep liquid plate and make sure that there is no blockage in the seep liquid hose.
- If the mass you removed was very wet, place a couple of shovelfuls of Biolan Bulking Material in the bottom of the composter.
- Close the unloading door.
- Press down the mass from the top with the shovel, for example. It will be easier if you start from the corners. Take care not to damage the inlet air channel located in the center of the composter.
- Empty the seep liquid container, if necessary.
The heat in the composter is generated by the combustion of the waste. The unit itself does not create any heat. The micro-organisms continuously need fresh waste for maintenance of their vital functions. The thermal insulation of the Composter Biolan 220eco light prevents the heat from escaping, and thus sustains the operation.
- in the cold time of the year it is important to use the composter, i.e. to fill and empty it. Only then can such conditions be created for the micro-organisms that they will be able to maintain a temperature that is higher than the outside air temperature.
- even if the reading of the temperature gauge drops to zero or close to it, do not stop using the composter.
- even if the composter’s temperature gauge has been at zero for a few days, there may still be some unfrozen mass inside the composter. If the composter is full, empty it even in the winter.
- do not reduce or stop the use of bedding even in the cold time of the year; using plenty of bedding is even more important then. Wet mass freezes more easily.
- store the bedding in a warm space, protected against rain.
- check that freezing of the air inlet or the air outlet valves will not impede the circulation of air. Remove any ice as needed.
- freezing of the mass does not harm the compost mass or damage the composter or its components. The decomposition of the compost mass will continue once the sun starts warming things up again in spring.
If you plan to use the composter in winter, make sure that the drain hose and the seep liquid canister do not freeze.
Cleaning the Composter Biolan 220eco
- Do not wash the composter. Various mould and ray fungi and micro-organisms are the decomposers in the compost, and should not be washed away.
- Clean the air inlet valve, the air outlet opening and the seep liquid hose, if necessary.
Using the air inlet valve
- if the temperature of the composter is higher than the temperature of the outside air, keep the adjuster of the inlet air valve turned to the right, i.e. in the position 100.
- follow the temperature of the composter and the outside air. If the compost mass starts cooling down, decrease the setting until the temperature stabilizes.
- during the warm season, you can generally keep the air inlet valve fully open, i.e. in the position 100, and during the cold season, almost closed, i.e. in the position 20.
- by design the air inlet valve can never be fully closed. In the position 20, 20 % of its holes are open.
Using the air outlet valve
- normally, the air outlet valve does not need to be adjusted. It is open, and cannot be closed at all. If the moisture-content of the composter is high, you can increase the ventilation by opening the valve.
- to open the valve, move its knob to the position “extra”, i.e. to the right, seen from behind the composter.
- note that the intensified ventilation may cool down the composter in winter. Follow the situation.
Volume: about 220 litres
Height: 115 cm
Bottom area: 54 x 54 cm
Cover (w x l): 73 x 80 cm
Diameter of the seep liquid hole: 16 mm
Weight of the cover when opening: 3,5 kg
Weight of an empty composter: about 30 kg
Weight of a full composter: 100 – 150 kg
Working height: 102 cm
Material: frost-resistant UV-protected polyethylene
Insulation material: freon-free polyurethane
Ventilation: adjustable, patented
Other items: thermometer
Optional colours: dark grey
Dimensions: 70 × 110 × 70 cm
Shipping can be expensive, especially when shipping from coast to coast to coast, that's why we believe in being fully transparent about how much you're actually paying for shipping.
This is why we ask our customers who are interested in purchasing larger items that they fill out a shipping quote request.
Shipping costs can vary for these larger items and it's not always fair to the consumer to build in "free shipping" costs for these items. This means that you are typically paying more for shipping, and the product, than you should be.
Some shipping definitions that may help you in the process:
- Liftgate Service
This is where the shipping company can lower your items to the ground via a truck "elevator".
- Appointment Delivery
This is where the delivery company will contact you when your order arrives at your closest terminal. They will contact you to arrange a block of time, usually a 4 hour window, to deliver your items within.
- Business Delivery
This is when your order would be shipped to a business that has loading dock, fork lift or appropriate means of off-loading your shipment.
Please note that quote requests normally take 24 hours on average to complete, at which time we will contact you by phone or e-mail. Quotes received over the weekend will be replied to on Monday. Some quotes may take longer to process depending on the delivery location and availability of the shipping companies to provide us with quotes.
We're here for you!
The Cabin Depot™ is very proud to be Canada's largest off-grid living solutions provider. We are 100% Canadian owned and operated, and we don't just sell products - we love helping people! So if you have questions about the product being quoted today - or about any of the products we carry - just let us know!
The Cabin Depot™
How much is shipping?
Most shipping costs can be
calculated in the cart area or at checkout.
Most items will ship via Canada
Post, UPS, Canpar or FedEx.
Estimated Shipping Times-
If your order is received before noon Eastern Time, your order will typically ship out within 24-48 hours during business hours Mon-Fri. This is dependent on stock and availability. Larger items like solar systems and items that ship on a pallet may take longer. Busy seasons and demand may affect this timeline. Feel free to contact us at 1-844-603-4743, or email email@example.com for an updated timeframe if you require something urgently.
Free Shipping – Any item that is listed on our website with free shipping adheres to the following policy:
Free shipping applies to standard residential or business addresses only. This
covers 99% of our customers. However, if you live on top of a mountain, on an island with limited ferry access, need a plane or helicopter to reach your
home, your nearest neighbour is a penguin, you live in a yurt in Death Valley that only donkeys can reach, or other remote location that delivery trucks
cannot easily access or are outside of their traditional delivery routes, additional shipping costs may be incurred. We will contact you before shipping your order to confirm if additional charges may apply. We reserve the right to notify you after you have purchased an item of any additional shipping or handling charges necessary to deliver your order. If notified of any additional charges, you also have the right to modify or cancel your order for a full refund. Regions that are subject to a surcharge include, but are not limited to the following:
- Northwest Territories
- The Islands of British Columbia
Larger items that would require
shipping on a pallet would ship LTL.
Less-than-truckload, also known
as less-than-load (LTL), is a shipping service for relatively small loads or quantities of freight. Less-than-truckload services are offered by many large, national parcel services as well as by specialized logistics providers.
Please see below for the
shipping procedure for LTL shipments.
LTL Shipments may include
appliances, solar panels, batteries, Cinderella Incinerating Toilets and wood stoves.
Most appliances, solar equipment or larger shipment items ship via tractor
trailer or straight truck and are limited to a curbside delivery. Freight carriers are specially trained and equipped to handle oversized and fragile items safely and efficiently. Please refer to the steps below to know what to expect for the delivery service. Please note that these items cannot ship to P.O. Box.
Step 1 – Within 24 - 48 hours after your order is shipped you will receive a confirmation email providing tracking information.
Step 2 – Once the shipment has arrived at your local freight terminal, transport will call you to schedule a delivery appointment. Appointments are made Mondays – Fridays and you are usually given a 4-hour window to expect delivery during business hours. It is important that the phone number provided when ordering is a working number to contact you. If an appointment is not made within a 24-hour period of being contacted, storage
fees may apply. You would be responsible for these fees.
Step 3 – Curb side delivery completion –
The driver will arrive with a lift-gate truck (truck sizes vary) and will lower the order onto the ground at the edge of your driveway. Due to company
policy the driver is not authorized to move it further. Curbside delivery service does not include set up or assembly of items, or removal of packaging materials, nor does it include bringing the items inside the home.
Step 4 - Upon delivery, you will need to inspect and sign a Proof of Delivery Receipt for the shipment. Check for visible damage and if any damage is seen make sure that it is noted on the delivery receipt and take pictures of the damage. You have the right to refuse the delivery due to damage shown. For all transport damage issues please contact us immediately. Please note: Shipping is unavailable to P.O. Boxes
What to know before accepting
The Cabin Depot wants to
make sure your order delivers on time, accurately, and damage free. So, we have some important information about receiving a new order.
We carefully inspect all
orders before they leave our warehouse to ensure they are accurate and in perfect condition. If you haven’t received a shipping e-mail confirmation with tracking, and are curious about the status of your order, please let us know at
any time by calling
select option #1.
Whenyour order arrives, you will need to carefully inspect immediately before the truck driver leaves or attempts to have you sign off on the paperwork. Paperwork is normally provided, and your
signature requested by the driver to acknowledge your order was delivered. If
they have no paperwork for you to sign (usually a BOL or Freight Bill) you can request it. Some drivers will want to drop your order and leave asap as they
have other deliveries to make. But remember, you paid to have them deliver your order in perfect condition, and they will wait for you to inspect it. If you sign the delivery paperwork
without noting any discrepancies or damage, the freight company will not accept a claim and make the customer liable for any damage discovered.
So, this inspection means that you should: Open all boxes Count all items Ensure the items shipped are the correct model / type / colour.
DO NOT sign the driver’s paperwork unless you are 100% certain the order is complete, there are no missing items, and it has arrived in perfect condition.
IF YOUR ORDER ARRIVES INCORRECT OR IS
Note exactly what was
shipped incorrect or missing on your paperwork. You need to clearly write this on the BOL or Freight Bill. Take a picture of the products received, then contact us and we’ll investigate and get this corrected for you asap!
IF YOUR ORDER ARRIVES DAMAGED:
As upsetting as this may
be, it does happen on occasion as careless drivers or warehouse workers may have mishandled your order. In this situation, you have 2 options: If there is
significant damage to the order, you can refuse it. Note “ORDER REFUSED DUE TO DAMAGE” on the paperwork, and make sure you take plenty of pictures of the damage. Then send this information to us so we can follow up with the freight
company. We can then either refund your order or ship a completely new order to
you if the product is still in stock and available. If there’s only slight damage to your order, you can still choose to receive it. But note this damage clearly on the paperwork and take several pictures. Then send this
information to us and we will follow up with the freight company. They would then be liable to provide parts to repair or send you some form of
IF YOU INSPECTED
YOUR ORDER, BUT LATER FIND DAMAGE:
This is known as ‘concealed
damage’ and freight companies only allow 24 hours to file a concealed damage claim. So, it is very important that if you start unpacking your order and
discover damage to a part that wasn’t visible when you removed the packaging for initial inspection, you need to take pictures and contact us immediately.
Do not wait. Freight companies will not even consider a concealed damage claim if one is filed more than 24 hours after receipt. Note that concealed damage claims are often denied, which is why your primary inspection as soon as the order arrives is so important.
Contact our Support Center
We gladly accept any unused and unopened merchandise
for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Simply return the complete
product to us in its clean original packaging, accompanied with the original
proof of purchase or receipt. Note that the buyer is responsible for return
Unused items but with open boxes within 30
days of purchase will be subject to a 10% restocking fee. These items must be
returned in the original packaging with all accessories.
Special-order merchandise is not
include: Special order items, pest control, cleaning or clothing products,
batteries, hammocks, Coghlans products and clearance items.
All merchandise is subject to the manufactures
warranty and will be repaired or replaced as per the manufacturers directions.
Please contact the original manufacturer if you encounter an issue
with your product or a product defect.
The Cabin Depot is proud to offer warranty services for the
following product lines:
Cinderella Incinerating Toilets
Peerless Premier Ranges
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for warranty & technical help related inquiries.
Visit our Support Center for more valuable information!
PLEASE NOTE - DISCLAIMER: The Cabin Depot Ltd. accepts
no liability for DIY installations or equipment selection. It is the customers
responsibility to read the manufacturers manuals and instructions carefully
& ensure they are meeting all building and electrical codes and, if unsure,
hire a qualified installer or electrician.